To accomplish the vision for East Woods School, a strategic plan was developed in 2015 that establishes goals to be achieved over the next five years. The successful implementation of this strategic plan will build upon our strengths, fulfill our mission, and thoughtfully grow enrollment by:
I. advancing our educational program to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to succeed in and contribute to a complex and changing society.
II. attracting, supporting, and retaining a highly engaged faculty who will deliver and communicate an exceptional, differentiated, student-centered program.
III. utilizing facilities and resources to optimize the educational experience of all students while maintaining a strong sense of community.
I. In order to advance our educational program to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to succeed in and contribute to a complex and changing society, East Woods School will:
- promote collaboration and enhance communication across disciplines and grade levels to foster integrated learning and strengthen community.
- structure ongoing curriculum review by discipline and grade level, with appropriate administrative support provided, to ensure a progressive, future-thinking program.
- embed the innovative use of technology into the academic program for all grade levels and provide appropriate technological support to ensure seamless integration.
- document and demonstrate the scope and sequence of the curriculum across all disciplines and grade levels.
- facilitate an open dialogue about diversity and foster an environment that embraces interactions among persons of varied backgrounds.
II. In order to attract, support, and retain a highly engaged faculty who will deliver and communicate an exceptional, differentiated, student-centered program, East Woods School will:
- support and set expectations for the ongoing professional growth and development of faculty and staff for the benefit of the student body.
- create shared planning time for teachers to develop collaborative student experiences.
- develop a faculty and staff professional growth and evaluation system which ensures a progressive, forward-thinking program.
- promote clear and timely communication among faculty, administration, and parents regarding curricula, student progress, and the life of the school.
III. In order to utilize facilities and resources to optimize the educational experience of all students while maintaining a strong sense of community, East Woods School will:
- invest in faculty development and retention to create an exceptional educational environment.
- continue to cultivate financially responsible ways to advance the ongoing fundraising efforts including more fully engaging and communicating with alumni, parents of former students, and parents of current students.
- continue to analyze tuition and financial assistance processes.
- continue to assess appropriate staffing in order to meet the needs of the students and program.
- evaluate and consider appropriate use of funds in regard to buildings and grounds, transportation, and safety.
This strategic plan was developed by a dedicated and caring committee representative of the East Woods School community. Input was gathered from students, parents, teachers, administrators, and community members through surveys, focus groups, and interviews. The committee discussed and analyzed the results, and collaborated to write, review, and revise what appears here as the final document. We proudly present this Strategic Plan as a living document that will guide East Woods School in living its Mission and achieving its Vision over the next five years.
Kristin Dennehy, Co-chair (P, T)
Kevin Mercier, Co-chair (P, T)
Matthew Bradley, Former Head of School
Suzanne Adelhardt (PP)
Monique Alexander ’98 (A, P, T)
Dana Bratti (P, T)
Michele Burke (F, P)
Jennifer Casey (P, T)
Cary Goodwin (P)
Nicole Hogan (PP)
Jeanne Lore (F, P)
Meline Purdy (P)
Laura Somma (P)
Virginia Stair (PP)
David Ware (C)
A = Alumni, C = Community, F = Faculty,
P = Parent, PP = Past Parent, T = Trustee
East Woods’ mission is to foster strength of character and academic excellence while developing and
encouraging creativity, intellectual curiosity, and a lifelong passion for learning. We are a nurturing community
that celebrates the differences among us and leads by example through citizenship and service to others.