Statement on Diversity
East Woods believes in promoting a climate of intercultural awareness and respect; developing and implementing a curriculum to appreciate the depth and breadth of diverse thoughts and perspectives; and actively seeking a diverse student body, faculty and staff in the composition of EWS.
We believe in equal opportunity and equal access focused on empowerment and co-ownership of the community, in strategically building and sustaining diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusivity.
We believe in self-reflection and challenging perceptions, prejudices, and biases.
We will work toward accomplishing these goals through specific, targeted strategies aimed at:
- Creating a welcoming and supportive climate for diverse students and faculty to promote intercultural awareness;
- Respecting and valuing differences within the classroom;
- Promoting dialogue between and among diverse groups;
- Actively seeking different perspectives, histories, and contributions of diverse individuals;
- Recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and student body;
- Developing specific search committee roles regarding diversity;
- Providing greater accessibility both financially and socially;
- Advocating for a school climate in and out of the classroom that is supportive of a diverse student and faculty body;
- Implementing a coordinated admissions marketing strategy and;
- Providing opportunities for sensitivity training and education to the staff and larger EWS community.